[openssl-users] Extracting decrypt key for AES from openssl on client side

Short, Todd tshort at akamai.com
Thu Nov 15 14:30:31 UTC 2018

I have seen this done for hardware acceleration; where the crypto chip can do everything except the handshake.
(In fact, this mechanism protected at least one device that I know of from the Heartbleed debacle, since the hardware crypto did not understand the record type.)

Look at how the kernel handles TLS, and how the keys are extracted from OpenSSL:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/networking/tls.txt
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/5253

--
-Todd Short