[openssl-users] error message oddity

Jeremy Harris jgh at wizmail.org
Sun Nov 25 20:17:19 UTC 2018

OpenSSL 1.1.0h-fips

On OpenSuse tumbleweed I'm getting an error message lacking
the last component:

    error:02001002:system library:fopen:

This is for a deliberately-triggered error, on calling
SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file() with a non-existent file.

The global "errno" is properly set at 2 (ENOENT) between the
return from SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file() and the call
to ERR_error_string_n(ERR_get_error(), ...) - and a call
to strerr() gets the correct string.

I don't recall seeing this particular oddity on any of my
other distribution system that I run the same test code on.
Other systems get:

    error:xxxxxxxx:system library:fopen:No such file or directory

for assorted values of xxxxxxxx (I'm also testing across
library release versions).

Any clues?  Does anyone else see this, or have I borked the
installation somehow?
--
Thanks,
  Jeremy