[openssl-users] openssl ca pkcs11 UI_set_result_ex:result too large:crypto/ui/ui_lib.c:910:You must type in 4 to 32 characters

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Wed Oct 17 08:13:28 UTC 2018

In message <CANtcRX4xLxcOVa0iszyo4RLBuFxa7BenA2OZw9QA-KP-=BAzpQ at mail.gmail.com> on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:34:31 +0200, Peter Magnusson <blaufish.public.email at gmail.com> said:

> Sorry, I am an idiot =)

No you're not.

> Problem resolved, user error.  -key was the problem and should not be
> used as I showed.
>
> -key has a different meaning for openssl ca than for openssl req, so
> my PIN was my -key argument. It got my keyfile from the openssl conf
> file.

And this is precisely why you're not an idiot.  We're not consistent
between openssl sub-commands, so no wonder you get confused.  It's a
pattern thing, we catch on to similar patterns (such as option names).

We really should look over those options...  (but with all the other
stuff we have going on, I'm afraid this isn't the highest on our
priority list)

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org