[openssl-users] What to do with deprecation errors

Skip Carter skip at taygeta.com
Fri Oct 19 19:03:44 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I recently installed from source, openssl-1.1.1 on a Debian box (like
most distributions the Debian version is quite old and my application
needs very recent libraries).  It built and installed without warnings
or errors (Thanks to all concerned in creating software that can do
that).

However when I try to compile an application that uses the library, I
get the following compile time error:

/usr/include/openssl/ec.h:274:1: error: expected constructor,
destructor, or type conversion before ‘DEPRECATEDIN_1_2_0’
 DEPRECATEDIN_1_2_0(int EC_GROUP_get_curve_GFp(const EC_GROUP *group,
BIGNUM *p,

(and other similar errors)

Can anybody tell me what is wrong ?

I it feels like I am missing some compiler flags (I am using nothing
special: -Wall -Wextra -Wpedantic).

Thanks,

--
Skip Carter