[openssl-users] Reg issue in alert message

ramakrushna mishra rama.krushna7 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:56:55 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am facing an issue after openssl upgrade to 1.1.1.
I have a odbc client with maximum version support up to TLSv1.2 and  my
database is running with TLSv1.2,TLsv1.3.

The handhake is failing and I am getting following contents on my BIO dump.
"15 03 03 00 02 02 56" .
If i have understood correctly this is for alert message and But I could
not find any reference to alert description at (
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-25.html#alert-protocol )
corresponding to 56.

So, Could you please help me figure out what does this correspond to ?

Moreover I have following doubt.

-- If my TLSv1.2 client does not handle the  "downgrade sentinel " present
in server hello ( TLSv1.3 , will it create any problem ?
-- In the above example client is receving error such as "SSL Handshake
Failure reason [error:1407743E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1
alert inappropriate fallback]." ? Could you please help me to hint me about
how to debug this ?

Thanks and Regards,
Ram Krushna