[openssl-users] Using (not building) openssl with mingw on Windows 10

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Mon Oct 29 11:18:58 UTC 2018

On 26/10/2018 23:08, Ken Goldman wrote:
> I've been happily using the Shining Light 32-bit binaries with both
> openssl 1.0 and 1.1 and mingw.
>
> On a new machine, I tried the 64-bit binaries.  However, they're
> missing the openssl/lib/mingw directory where the .a files resided.
>
> It looks like the link procedure changed.  Any hints before I start
> experimenting?

Note that Win32 (Microsoft) .LIB files are actually standard unix-style
.a files with the file names changed to match the the historic
MS-DOS/Win16 practice (which had a different file format).

So it is highly likely the .LIB files can be used with mingw by just
copying/symlinking them, or even just using a Mingw option to load
.LIB files.

Beware however of the crazy GNU interpretation that listing a library
file explicitly means include *all* the code from the library, not
just the referenced object files.

Enjoy

Jakob