[openssl-users] Engines on Mac OS X

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Sep 3 14:05:41 UTC 2018

On 03/09/18 14:56, Salz, Rich via openssl-users wrote:
> *>*Gotcha. In that case why does it get built on Mac? I.e., why doesn’t
> the build process exclude it automatically?
>

> Beats me.  It ends up being a zero-length object file, more or less.
> Perhaps Richard Levitte knows.

It skips building it completely if configured with no-engine,
no-dynamic-engine or no-capieng. Otherwise it will attempt the build.
Inside e_capi.c it performs various compile time checks to determine
whether its got everything it needs to produce the engine. If it doesn't
then it just ends up building a dummy engine that doesn't do anything.