[openssl-users] X25519 - why openssl shows server temp key as 253 bits?

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:00:29 UTC 2018

Probably because the definition of X25519 requires that bits 0, 1, and 2 of
the first byte of the private key are set to 0 before being used, and
OpenSSL counts the number of bits including the highest-order set bit.
(Really, there's an additional 2 bits that are also set to known values:
bit 6 of the last byte is set, and bit 7 of the last byte is cleared.  In
my view, this actually reduces the necessary brute-force search space from
256 bits to 251 bits. However, literally any 32-byte string can be used as
a public key.  Apparently, djb views this as sufficient to call it a
256-bit strength function.)

For the specification, please see the subsection entitled "Responsibilities
of the User" in section 3 of https://cr.yp.to/ecdh/curve25519-20060209.pdf .

-Kyle H