[openssl-users] X25519 - why openssl shows server temp key as 253 bits?

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Tue Sep 4 14:50:53 UTC 2018

With curve25519, the scalar multiplication function:

  (x, y) -> n * (x, y) = (x', y') -> x'

has the property that for valid points on the extended curve (degree
two extension of F(p) that gives a y for every x in F(p)), x' depends
only on x, and can be effectively computed from x alone, and this can
be done for all x in F(p) since all "x" values are either on the curve
or its "twist".  Therefore, the X25519 key agreement protocol only
uses the x-coordinate.

IIRC, Ed25519 signatures do require a y-coordinate sign, and so the
signature representation is not x-only.

--
	Viktor.