[openssl-users] openssl 1.1.1 and FreeBSD 11.2

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Sep 11 16:48:53 UTC 2018

On 09/11/2018 12:23 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>> On Sep 11, 2018, at 11:33 AM, The Doctor <doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Looks likes I found a first bug
>>

> This did not happen on my machine, the build succeeded, and all tests
> passed:
>
>     $ uname -srp
>     FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p10 amd64

You have 11.1 there whereas the initial report is in regards to 11.2.
I think 12.0 is right around the corner. I'll have a look at both.

>> My configuration is
>>
>> #!/usr/local/bin/bash
>> CC=/usr/local/bin/clang60 ./Configure --prefix=/usr/local BSD-x86_64  enable-crypto-mdebug enable-crypto-mdebug-backtrace   enable-rfc3779 enable-shared zlib-dynamic enable-sctp  enable-rc4  disable-weak-ssl-ciphers   no-idea enable-ssl-trace enable-unit-test; make depend
>
> You don't need to, and should not run "make depend" for OpenSSL 1.1.x.
> I'd recommend building an empty sub-directory or "out of tree":
>
> 	mkdir build; cd build; $path_to_source/Configure ...; make; make test
>
> Why are you building with "enable-crypto-mdebug" and "enable-crypto-mdebug-backtrace"?
> These are developer-team options, not expected to used by others, or necessarily work
> reliably on all systems...  They also incur a substantial performance penalty.

Hrmmm ... I'll give it a whirl out of the box but generally I find that
the Configurations/10-main.conf needs to be edited as well as the
resultant Makefile but after that everything goes smoothly.

Dennis