[openssl-users] Migrating to openssl 1.1.1 in real life linux server

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Sep 11 17:47:18 UTC 2018

On 09/11/2018 01:09 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>> On Sep 11, 2018, at 10:59 AM, Juan Isoza <jisoza at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What is the better way, for anyone running, by example, Apache or nginx on a popular Linux districution (Ubuntu, Debian, Suse) and want support TLS 1.3 ?
>>
>> Waiting package update to have openssl 1.1.1 ? probably a lot of time

Roll you own.  It works.  Really really well in fact.

>> Recompile openssl dynamic library and replace system library ? We must be sure we don't broke the system

Don't do that.  That path leads to madness.

>> Recompile Apache or NGinx with openssl statically linked ? probably complex
>
> You can install OpenSSL 1.1.1 in a non-default location, say:
>
> 	./Configure --prefix=/usr/local/opt/openssl/1.1.1 BSD-x86_64-opt shared
>
> with the "BSD-x86_64-opt" target inheriting from "BSD-x86_64":
>
>    --- Configurations/10-main.conf
>    +++ Configurations/10-main.conf
>
>    +    "BSD-x86_64-opt" => {
>    +        inherit_from     => [ "BSD-x86_64" ],
>    +        shlib_variant   => "-opt",
>    +    },
>    +

<snip>
> Integrating this into "ports" is an exercise for the reader...

It sounds like a downstream ELF header nightmare. Most likely better to
just isolate systems entirely and build the software stack dependencies
using standard locations and standard SONAME/RPATH/RUNPATH data. However
if someone wants to spin in tight circles battling lib resolution, well
gee, sounds like endless fun.  Not for me .. thanks.

Dennis