[openssl-users] Checksum for openssl-1.0.2p download

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Wed Sep 12 21:18:19 UTC 2018

(Top posting to avoid zig-zag)

Testing your OpenSSL download with the HTTPS security bites its
own tail, especially if your download tool uses an (older) version
of OpenSSL to check the connection.

But unless you have an established personal list of GPG/PGP keys
you have checked against their holders in person yourself, checking
the HTTPS certificate of the OpenSSL.org web server is pretty much
all you can do to distinguish between a genuine and a fake first time
OpenSSL download (signatures on later downloads can be compared to
previous downloadsfor some degree of signature consistency).

Of cause some real knowledge is needed to not use the OpenSSL source
code incorrectly, unless you are merely compiling other peoples
software exactly as instructed.

Personally, I would prefer if there also was a detached CMS signature
with an EV software signing certificate independently validated as
belonging to the real OpenSSL foundation.

On 12/09/2018 22:56, Chris Outwin wrote:
> Thank you very much for your helpful reply.
>
> I’m a graphics programmer with no experience in PGP.  The shell script I have calls:   OPENSSL_ARCHIVE_URL="https://www.openssl.org/source/old/${BRANCH}/${OPENSSL_ARCHIVE_FILE_NAME}” in the process of downloading OpenSSL for use in building an iOS static implementation.  Does https have a reasonable level of security?  I believe I can include a block of code in the script to do a checksum.
>
>> On Sep 12, 2018, at 1:42 PM, Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com> wrote:

Enjoy

Jakob