[openssl-users] Checksum for openssl-1.0.2p download

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Sep 13 17:55:54 UTC 2018

On 13/09/2018 03:24, Michael Wojcik wrote:
> [...]
To make it clear, I am very experienced and do in fact check the gpg
signature
if possible.  I was trying to give good advice to the OP based on my
experience
checking the only ways that the OpenSSL foundation provides.

The OpenPGP/GPG key servers that you suggested, by design, accept any
made up
key identity and thus provide no indication of validity, so just
downloading
the key from there is a non-solution to the problem of bootstrapping
trust in
someones first OpenSSL download.

To my knowledge the only ways to check that the .asc file was signed
with an
authorized release key are:

A) Trusting that the HTTPS connection to the download server is
uncompromised,
   essentially treating at least the first such signature as a glorified
   .sha256 file.

B) Checking doc/fingerprints.txt in the previous tarball and hoping the
OpenSSL
   foundation double checks the correctness of that file before signing
a new
   tarball.

C) Using the text (BUT NOT THE INSECURE LINKS) on
   https://www.openssl.org/community/omc.html
    But this lists some unauthorized keys, and also relies on that same
HTTPS
   certificate.

Enjoy

Jakob