[openssl-users] Limit the number of AES-GCM keys allowed in TLS

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 04:51:58 UTC 2018

...and once again FIPS screws those who don't want to adhere to its
mandates (which everyone in the know has always stated simply reduces
security by requiring the use of less-secure ciphers and implementations,
without allowing patches or modifications to deal with newly-discovered
classes of attacks without requiring a complete new validation procedure).

Also, I fear that I am likely to be viewed as "overly paranoid" here, by
reminding everyone that Oracle exists because CIA wanted a way to avoid
paying IBM more money.  They have maintained their national-security roots
("Trusted Oracle", anyone?), and both US and Australia are members of the
Five Eyes coalition; there's no reason that governments wouldn't lean on
their assets which hire contributors to OpenSSL to reduce the putative
security level that OpenSSL could provide, via platitudes of the form "the
check will be cheaper".  (It was in the Snowden docs, after all, that the
US government has wealened encryption by sabotaging standardization efforts
and open-source particopation.  I have no doubt that governments within
Five Eyes want to decrease the number of keys they have to crack in traffic
that they don't already know the profile of.)

I really think that the checks should be conditional on FIPS mode or
setting an option flag (for those national standards that don't have a
validation effort associated with them).

-Kyle H