[openssl-users] s_server -www -tls1_3: Firefox/Chrome not working

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Wed Sep 19 19:33:29 UTC 2018

On 18/09/2018 19:11, Salz, Rich via openssl-users wrote:
>>     My point was about the likelihood of last-draft browsers lingering
>      on in the real world for some time (like 1 to 3 years) after the
>      TLS1.3-final browser versions ship.
>
> I do not think this is a concern.  Chrome and FF auto-update and get almost full coverage within a month or two, for example.  Edge hasn't shipped TLS 1.3 yet. Safari encourages auto-update.  That's most of the browser market.
While I have already accepted the infeasibility of adding this to
OpenSSL, I will have to emphasize that your argument has a serious
flaw:

The users who delay or block automatic updates tend to greatly overlap
with the users who actively block remote telemetry of their update
habits, thus skewing such statistics of "get almost full coverage within
a month or two".

Enjoy

Jakob