[openssl-users] updating openssl on MacOS

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Sep 20 19:43:25 UTC 2018

(I'm a Linux desktop guy)
Sitting with a colleague, he's trying to get some code working that requires
ECDSA support, so openssl 1.1.0 or newer, and his Mac is infested with
0.98letter.

There are a a whole bunch of pages with a variety of recommendations.
None of them are on openssl.org...  I wonder if openssl.org shouldn't
include at least a page of advice that is know to work?

My colleague eventually did something like:
   brew update
   brew uninstall --force openssl       (unclear if this worked..)
   brew uninstall --ignore-dependancies openssl
   brew upgrade
   brew install openssl

and the libraries wound up in /usr/local/opt/{include,lib}.