PKCS#7/CMS verify reports bad signature

Steffen steffenl.sw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 21:23:21 UTC 2019

Hello,

I believe that I have narrowed the problem down to one specific version of
OpenSSL. Version 1.1.0b works as expected while OpenSSL 1.1.0c does not.

I have currently only verified this using PKCS7_verify and CMS_verify since
I have no CLI at hand for these versions.

The changelog for 1.1.0c describes the following change for CMS:

  *) CMS Null dereference

     Applications parsing invalid CMS structures can crash with a NULL pointer
     dereference. This is caused by a bug in the handling of the ASN.1 CHOICE
     type in OpenSSL 1.1.0 which can result in a NULL value being passed to the
     structure callback if an attempt is made to free certain invalid encodings.
     Only CHOICE structures using a callback which do not handle NULL value are
     affected.

     This issue was reported to OpenSSL by Tyler Nighswander of ForAllSecure.
     (CVE-2016-7053)
     [Stephen Henson]