SSL_read() returning SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL with errno 11EAGAIN

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Apr 30 16:31:03 UTC 2019

I haven't seen a reply to this, so I'll take a stab...

I haven't looked at the code, but my impression is that WANT_READ and WANT_WRITE are returned in two cases: when OpenSSL has received or sent a partial record and needs to complete it; or when the TLS state is such that OpenSSL needs to perform the associated operation and it hasn't been requested by the application - for example, if the application is trying to receive data but OpenSSL needs to send renegotiation information.

If you do a non-blocking receive at a record boundary (so you don't have an incomplete record) and OpenSSL doesn't currently need to send for TLS reasons, OpenSSL will see the EAGAIN (or EWOULDBLOCK, depending on platform). I think in this case it does just return SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL, because OpenSSL itself doesn't "want" to receive. If OpenSSL had already received a partial record, then you'd get WANT_READ.

I suspect you could always treat this as WANT_READ, which typically means using a mechanism such as select or poll to determine when the socket is readable, then trying the OpenSSL receive again. But looking at the return value of SSL_want_write() seems safe enough.

That's my understanding. Someone else may know better.

--
Michael Wojcik