EVP_KEY_cmp and -_parameters issues

Thulasi Goriparthi thulasi.goriparthi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 07:42:17 UTC 2019

RSA keys wouldn't have parameters that are separated from key
components. So, EVP_PKEY_cmp() is applicable, but not
EVP_PKEY_cmp_parameters().

DH keys, which are generally used for key exchange, are short lived,
though the group parameters can be comparatively valid for longer
duration (let's say for a whole session) and can be used to generate
multiple DH keys. So, EVP_PKEY_cmp_parameters() is useful to validate
peer's public key parameters during key exchange to confirm that both
peers are working in the same group.

Though EVP_PKEY_cmp() function can be extended to compare both
parameters and key components for DH keys,  it wouldn't be of much use
as DH keys are ephemeral and we never need to compare two of them for
their key components.

Thanks,
Thulasi.