Acquire Entropy for embedded platform

Dr Paul Dale paul.dale at oracle.com
Fri Aug 16 09:44:42 UTC 2019

I investigated HAVEGE fairly deeply a couple of years ago.  I am completely in agreement with the basis of this source, however the sticking point was the “expansion” phase.  Essentially, every bit of entropy gathered is turned into (just under) thirty two bits of “entropy”.  This is logically and physically impossible.  As a source, it appears reasonable to the usual tests (i.e. dieharder), although TestU01 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TestU01> does pick up on it being less than ideal.

I would, however, recommend Stephan Müller's CPU Jitter <https://www.chronox.de/jent/doc/CPU-Jitter-NPTRNG.html>.  The gathering is well researched and performed, no hidden tricks are present and the bits produces are equiprobable.

Pauli
--
Dr Paul Dale | Distinguished Architect | Cryptographic Foundations
Phone +61 7 3031 7217