Format and standard for CSR

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed Aug 28 21:23:01 UTC 2019

I don't see the point in DER encoding for a CSR – The RA and CA decide the
composition of the cert, based on the rules and CPA that they follow, and
of course any cert issued will be in DER format, and may include reordering
or modified/expanded extensions and key use restrictions.  A CSR is
basically an assertion that includes pubkey, proof of possession of the
private key, and any request elements required by policy.  It's a one-time
document that needs to be validated precisely once.

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata