Regarding interoperability between no-asm and asm enabled

Naveen Shivanna navin.shivanna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 16:09:52 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am using 'DTLS over SCTP' and the OpenSSL version is 1.1.1c.

I compiled OpenSSL with target 'linux-arm64ilp32' on armv8. GCC used is
aarch64_be_linux-gnuilp32-gcc. So it is ILP32 and Big-end.

I compiled two sets of OpenSSL libraries:
1) OpenSSL with no-asm present
2) OpenSSL with no-asm absent (means, enabled the assembler instruction
acceleration)

I observed that the DTLS handshake fails when the client with lib 1) and
server with lib 2) are run.
When client sends the CCS, encrypted_handshake_finish_message, the server
sends back the ALERT (Fatal, Illegal parameter).
At the server side, when SSL_accept() fails, thr error code is 244
(SSL_R_UNEXPECTED_MESSAGE).

Cipher used is TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384

However, the handshake is success when both client and server use the same
lib type, either 1) or 2).

This suggests that there is interoperability issue.

Does anyone faced this issue?

Rgds,
Navi