[openssl-users] How to use a specific ip interface while testing TLS/SSL connectivity.

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Fri Feb 8 18:48:33 UTC 2019

Not usually, but in the specific case of testing connections bound to specific local addresses - an artificial use case - it will either avoid having to wait for the 2MSL timer to expire (if you bind to a specific local port) or exhausing the ephemeral port space (if you use a stack-assigned ephemeral port) if you're making a lot of short-lived connections.

Obviously bypassing TIME_WAIT this way introduces precisely the problem that TIME_WAIT exists to prevent: picking up data from a previous connection. However, modern stacks with randomized ISNs make the failure mode for that situation more palatable (more likely to produce an error state rather than silently accepting the stale data), and applications that implement their own session and/or presentation layers on top of the TCP bytestream will typically do a good job of 1) ensuring there isn't any stale data, and 2) detecting it if there is. TLS provides such a layer.

I recognize that the use of SO_REUSEADDR on the active-open (client) side is controversial, but this particular use case shouldn't appear in a production environment anyway.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus