[openssl-project] OpenSSL 3.0 and FIPS Update

Dmitry Belyavsky beldmit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:07:11 UTC 2019

Dear Michael,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 2:41 AM Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Not sure who Matt quoted, wrote:
>     >> 2. Can we do something with a bunch of hard-linked non-extendable
>     >> lists of internal NIDs?
>     >>
>     >> For example, providing GOST algorithms always requires a patch to
>     >> extend 3-5
>     >> internal lists.
>     >> If it could be done dynamically, it will be great.
>
> Matt then wrote:
>     > The simplest solution is to submit a PR to add your OIDs to OpenSSL,
>     > so that no furher out of tree patches are required.
>
> Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>     > Dynamic NIDs don't fit very well into the design, because NIDs are
>     > expected to be stable compile-time constants.  We could perhaps
>     > reserve a range for "private-use", and "engines" could allocate new
>     > NIDs in the private space at runtime.  The key question is whether
>     > such NIDs are global or valid only if returned to the same engine
>     > (provider, ...).  If not global, the allocation might be static
>     > within the engine, and not require any locks.
>
> Having stubbed my toe on some NID stuff, I must question exposting NIDs.
> ruby-openssl used them in a dumb way that meant that adding extensions by
> OID
> was broken until I removed some code.
>
> I think that the #define/enum of NIDs should be made internal-only,
> available as optimization to internal code only.
> Your question then becomes, "are engines internal users", and I'd like the
> answer to be no. I think that the openssl 3 changes suggest the same thing.

The engines are _mostly_ external users. But sometimes, providing new
algorithms,
there appear some parts that should go into the core part. And regulation
creates similar problems.

All other users can call OBJ_obj2nid() or OBJ_txt2nid() to get a NID,
> and we can figure out how to allocate things dynamically if this makes
> sense.  I don't know which APIs are currently NID-only.

AFAIK, no external API, but there are some cases when external API does not
cover all.

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky