shared libraries vs test cases

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Wed Feb 27 16:15:40 UTC 2019

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 11:04 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
> Running LDD on the binaries in test/* shows that they appear to link against
> the "system" copies of libssl and libcrypto.

With no environment overrides of LD_LIBRARY_PATH or similar, the test cases
in the build tree are expected to find the OpenSSL libraries in the install
target location (if on the default system search path) or when you compile
with "-R", "-rpath" or similar.  So the output of ldd is not surprising.

The tests run with LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings via util/shlib_wrap.sh

> This is, I think, making it very difficult for me to bisect a problem.
>
> It seems to me that the test cases ought to be statically linked to make
> it easiest to know what code they are running.  (This also makes it slightly
> easier to use gdb on them)

The test cases exercise the code the same way it is going to be used.
You can do a "no-shared" build if you like, but then some features
that depend on dynamic linking/loading may not be available.  If you're
just trying to bisect a problem, that may be acceptable...

--
	Viktor.