[openssl-users] Close TCP socket after SSL_clear()?

Charles Mills charlesm at mcn.org
Thu Jan 10 23:07:35 UTC 2019

On Windows, for a new session, I am issuing a Windows accept() followed by
SSL_new(), SSL_set_fd() and so forth.

When the session sees some sort of an abnormal receive condition, I am doing

       int retCode = SSL_get_shutdown(sessionSSL);

       if ( retCode & SSL_RECEIVED_SHUTDOWN )

       {

              SSL_shutdown(sessionSSL);

       }

       else

       {

              SSL_clear(sessionSSL);

       }

Questions:

1.       Do I also need to do a closesocket() (equivalent to UNIX close())
on the Windows socket?

2.       Does anyone want to critique the above logic in any other way?

The code basically "works" but I see evidence that a Windows TCP session is
still open following an SSL error.

Thanks,

Charles Mills