Drbg kat test data: Openssl-fips 2.0.16

Mark Minnoch mark at keypair.us
Mon Jul 15 21:28:26 UTC 2019

Manish asked:

> There is DRBG kat test data in fips_drbg_selftest.h. (Openssl-fips-2.0.16)
> Can anyone let me know, What is the source of this constant arrays. NIST
> link or any other  source will be helpful?

I'm pretty sure that the test data for the DRBG KAT (known answer test)
came from the NIST algorithm test tool when the OpenSSL team tested all of
the algorithm implementations.

The CAVP also posts sample test vectors if you are looking for that sort of
thing:
https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/cryptographic-algorithm-validation-program/random-number-generators#DRBG

Mark J. Minnoch
Co-Founder, CISSP
KeyPair Consulting
+1 (805) 550-3231 <(805)%20550-3231> mobile
https://KeyPair.us <https://keypair.us/>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/minnoch

*We expertly guide technology companies in achieving their FIPS 140 goals*

*Blog post: You Have Your FIPS Certificate. Now What?
<https://keypair.us/2018/03/you-have-your-fips-certificate-now-what/>*