Errors building 1.1.1 on RHEL 7

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Wed Jul 17 22:58:16 UTC 2019

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 3:41 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> On a system with OpenSSL 1.0.2 or OpenSSL 1.1.0 in /usr/lib (on the default
> search path), and especially when you're linking with other libraries that
> in turn were linked against the OpenSSL version in /usr/lib, using OpenSSL
> 1.1.1 in your application requires care...

By the way, today I'm uneventfully running an SSH server and client
that are linked against OpenSSL 1.0.2 for crypto in OpenSSH, but
also Heimdal Kerberos for GSSAPI, which in turn is linked against
OpenSSL 1.1.1 for its crypto.  The two libraries coëxist (ships
in the night) in the same process with no conflict.  They are
built with version-specific "shlib_variant" values, so that
the symbol versions and SONAMEs are distinct.

It all works.  Perhaps there should be a blog-post or other
document somewhere that explains this with a more detailed
walk-through of the required steps.  Anyone care to contribute?

--
	Viktor.