Errors building 1.1.1 on RHEL 7

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Thu Jul 18 01:16:48 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:54:51AM +0000, Mark Richter wrote:

> I'm still really new at this - a few questions:

Understood.

>   1. Choose some location that is not on the default library search path
>      to install the 1.1.1 custom libraries.  I use /opt/openssl/1.1/lib
>
> > How do I specify that?  A config parameter (and which one)?

	--prefix=/opt/openssl/1.1

>   2. Configure your OpenSSL build to use the corresponding "rpath":
>      -Wl,-rpath,/opt/openssl/1.1/lib
>
> > Again, how do I specify that?

    Command-line argument to "Configure" or custom platform template.

>   3. Add a custom target platform to the "targets" array in
>      Configurations/<some-file>.conf.  This can inherit from
>      the configuration you're using now, but add a setting
>      for "shlib_variant" as described in Configurations/README

> inherit_from => "<your platform>",
> shlib_variant => "-opt",
> > I can find that...

    You'll to read the existing files in the "Configurations" directory,
    and cargo-cult a new target definition that meets your needs and
    also adds "shlib_variant".

>   4. Build and install OpenSSL 1.1.1c with "--prefix=/opt/openssl/1.1"
>      or similar for the custom target platorm.  Make sure that the
>      SONAME and symbol versions contain the "-opt" or "_OPT" tweak.
>
> > Not familiar with that tweak.

    Setting "shlib_variant" correctly is all it takes.  The results
    can be verified via "readelf -d".

I've not had the opportunity to write up the process in more
step-by-step detail, perhaps if you get this working, you
can write it as a contribution to the Wiki, or blog it, ...

--
	Viktor.