Error building app on RHEL 7 with openssl 1.1.1

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 23:18:32 UTC 2019

On 7/18/19 3:37 PM, Mark Richter wrote:> I use:

 > ./config --prefix=/opt/openssl1.1 --openssldir=/opt/openssl1.1
--libdir=lib no-shared zlib-dynamic

just fyi, the options were simply referring to the linking issue, not an
inclusive list; hence the ellipsis

 > I'm pretty sure I can't just use the defaults you provide because the
app also includes libcurl, among others, which itself uses the "normal"
OpenSSL on RHEL 7, which is 1.0.2 and not compatible with 1.1.1.

sounds like your distribution needs drive your build choices.

fwiw, I build local curl, as well as those 'others', with openssl
1.1.1c, in order to similarly deal with dependencies.

the goal is a consistent openssl1.1.1c-using stack.  I haven't found
depending on the distros for that to be a winning proposition.

i understand it's a deep, dark, rabbit-hole; YMMV.

 > My app needs to use 1.1.1 without interfering with other (shared)
libraries it uses that were built with 1.0.2.  It also needs to have
1.1.1 statically linked because we want to ship to customers that don't
have 1.1.1 installed.  I suppose we could include 1.1.1 in its own
directory as part of our rpm, but I'd rather not.

 > These errors appeared when I tried to link with the static 1.1.1
libraries.
understood.

here, I build nothing statically, and build & include all the
pieces-n-parts of the 1.1.1c-consistent stack for any given app in a
local repo.

as above, you can soon start feeling like you're building your own
distro. which we do, as well ... usually necessarily, but grudgingly.