-keyform ENG and NodeJS

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Mon Jun 3 01:35:37 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 02, 2019 at 05:49:10PM -0700, Erik Madsen wrote:

> I am using a Hardware Security Module.  Both s_client and cURL work fine
> due to we can use the CLI "-keyform ENG" for s_client and "--key-type
> ENG" for curl
>
> Is it possible to specify this in the openssl.cnf file instead of the CLI?

You could be a bit more explicit about whether this a TLS or some
other application.  Configuration is "module"-specific.

> For testing this, the following works:
>
> openssl s_client -connect host:port -engine engineSO -keyform ENG -cert
> /path/to/signed/cert
>

> If we can do like this:
>
> OPENSSL_CONF=openssl.cnf openssl s_client -connect host:port -engine
> engineSO -cert /path/to/signed/cert (removed the -keyform)
>
> I think will work fine

I don't believe that the SSL "conf module" presently supports a
"command" that allows you specify the "keyform" of a private key
file.  It has a "PrivateKey" "command", but this appears to be
unconditionally limited to PEM.

If anyone else knows otherwise, corrections welcome

--
	Viktor.