Enabled weak cipher suites

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Jun 26 11:29:15 UTC 2019

On 26/06/2019 12:18, John Jiang wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 2:59 PM Dr Paul Dale <paul.dale at oracle.com
> <mailto:paul.dale at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yes there is but it will require a reconfigure and a recompile.
>
> Could you please show me more details about it?
> Which option(s) should be used for configuring and compiling?

To compile in support for weak ciphersuites:

$ ./config enable-weak-ssl-ciphers

And then make/make test/make install as usual.

Once support is compiled in the weak ciphersuites are still not enabled in the
"DEFAULT" set of ciphersuites - you have to explicitly enable them at run time, e.g.

$ openssl s_server -no_tls1_3 -cipher "RC4-MD5:@SECLEVEL=0"

$ openssl s_client -no_tls1_3 -cipher "RC4-MD5:@SECLEVEL=0"

Matt