Developers, a small request

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Wed Mar 13 20:09:29 UTC 2019

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 17:56:16 +0100,
Salz, Rich via openssl-users wrote:
> It would be really good if code being merged to master had --strict-warnings and the mdebug
> backtrace stuff turned on. In the past few days there have been a flurry of checkins that these
> flags would have caught.

Well, we do have CIs to show us already in the PRs...  but sometimes,
we are a bit excited and forget to pause and give them a look before
merging.

That being said, if the corrections come soon after, I don't think
much harm is done.

We do have an internal checker that double checks if we've forgotten
to look after some configuration option, and the same CIs as mentioned
above continually fully rebuilding and testing (including extended
tests) all release branches as well as master.  We have shown many
times that we do react on those fairly quickly.

So yeah, we do need to remember that PRs go through the CIs before
merging.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org