Issue in CRYPTO_cbc128_encrypt due to unaligned address

Mahendra SP mahendra.sp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 06:51:28 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I am seeing an issue with the routine CRYPTO_cbc128_encrypt() in version
1.0.2h where,
, if I have not declared STRICT_ALIGNMENT, application crashes
intermittently.

There was a similar query here but for CRYPTO_ctr128_encrypt.
https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-dev/2016-January/003966.html

I have dumped the addresses for both ivec and iv. Even though the addresses
are unaligned most of the times, crash is seen only occasioanally.

I don't want to declare STRICT_ALIGNMENT for performance reasons as I need
to have the size_t based operations. Is there a work around similar to one
proposed in the above thread or any other suggestions on how to handle this
?

Thanks
Mahendra