Reg solaris support for openssl 1.1.1b

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Mar 16 00:49:30 UTC 2019

On 3/15/19 1:19 PM, Jakob Bohm via openssl-users wrote:
> On 15/03/2019 14:33, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> On 3/15/19 5:38 AM, Matthias St. Pierre wrote:
>>> My guess is that your binary is loading the system's shared libraries.
>>> To find out whether this is the case, try
>>>
>>>      ldd bin/openssl
>>>
>>> If my assumption is correct, you might have to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>> explicitely.
>> Actually LD_LIBRARY_PATH is evil.
>>
>> The correct way to do this is to compile with a RUNPATH set in the
>> output ELF files.
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH overriding the compiled in RUNPATH is appropriate when
> testing
> a newly compiled binary before installing the libraries to their final
> locations, perhaps
> on the same, perhaps on another machine.
>
> P.S.
> I don't known if the Solaris loader lets LD_LIBRARY_PATH override
> RUNPATH as
> presumed by the above answer.

Yes it certainly does. Otherwise testing a new custom lib would be a
royal pain as opposed to just a pain.  Also most people still, after
twenty years, know what LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var is for and it is a waste
of breath trying to explain it after decades of watching folks skewer
themselves over and over and over ....

dc