cURL with openSSL 1.1.1 version

Nicola nic.tuv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 08:52:17 UTC 2019

Currently Ubuntu 18.04 ships with OpenSSL 1.1.0 (
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/openssl) and official Ubuntu packages
depending on OpenSSL link against this version.

1.1.0 will be EOL in September, and after that the decision on which level
of support to provide depends on the Ubuntu project and their development
strategies.

1.1.1 was designed to minimize breaking changes coming from 1.1.0, so
existing applications shouldn't require major changes for the existing
functionality, but ultimately it will be Ubuntu decision if they are going
to maintain their fork of 1.1.0 after upstream EOL or to upgrade to 1.1.1

If you are compiling your own application disregarding the distribution
maintainers decisions, you are free to compile and link against your own
version of openssl and to the best of my knowledge recent versions of curl
will not create any issue when compiling against 1.1.1

If you have your own code using the OpenSSL API directly and have not
updated since 1.0.2, some changes will most likely be required as since
1.1.0 most structs are opaque and you need to use accessors to get and set
their members.

Best regards,

Nicola Tuveri