Using (not building) openssl with mingw on Windows 10

Ken Goldman kgoldman at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 21 19:43:55 UTC 2019

On 3/20/2019 12:41 PM, Michael Wojcik wrote:

> Sounds like you might have import libraries there. Does "ar t
> libcrypto.lib" show a bunch of .obj members, or a bunch of .dll
> members? If it's the latter, then it's just an import library that
> tells the linker what DLL needs to be loaded at runtime.

ar t libcrypto.lib returns about 4100 lines of:

libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll
libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll

So it's an 'import library'.  But I get link errors, with each openssl
function missing.

Any clues?

> We build static (non-import) OpenSSL libraries for Windows, but at
> least for 1.0.2 we had to tweak the configuration process. The stock
> Configure wanted to link OpenSSL with the static Microsoft C runtime
> if you were building static libraries, whereas we wanted static
> libraries linked with the dynamic runtime. (I don't remember offhand
> if we had to do the same for 1.1.1.)

I'm not building OpenSSL.  I use Shining Light, because I don't want to
ship OpenSSL with my code and I certainly don't want to require
my users to build it.