aes-cbc-256 mode descryption without an IV

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Mon Mar 25 12:08:02 UTC 2019

Well let's just read the man pages, shall we?

>        -kfile filename
> Read the password to derive the key from the first line of filename.

Then

>        -md digest
> Use the specified digest to create the key from the passphrase.
> The default algorithm is sha-256.

And

>       -iv IV
> When a password is being specified using one of the other options, the
IV is generated from this password.

The man page doesn't specify the key derivation algorithm, but a quick
glance at apps/enc.c shows that it uses EVP_BytesToKey, which is
documented here:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/man3/EVP_BytesToKey.html

-Marian