Reg Change in Error Code

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Sat May 4 08:57:12 UTC 2019

On 04/05/2019 04:54, ramakrushna mishra wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks for the detailed response.
> As you suggested there is definitely a lot to improve in our code to convey the
> correct meaning of the code.  I have tested with the changes and it conveyed the
> correct meaning now as you clearly stated.
>
> I just have one more doubt. Now I tried to test with the code with an ongoing
> customer scenario where we do not get any error or error string or the libssl
> method name as well. Mostly it happens when SSL_get_error() after
> SSL_do_handshake() returns SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL.
>
> Is there any way to capture more information about this error ?

The man pages have this description for SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL:

 SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL
 Some non-recoverable, fatal I/O error occurred. The OpenSSL error queue may
 contain more information on the error. For socket I/O on Unix systems, consult
 errno for details. If this error occurs then no further I/O operations should
 be performed on the connection and SSL_shutdown() must not be called.

 This value can also be returned for other errors, check the error queue for
 details.

So I'd suggest you check errno in such a scenario.