EVP_aes_128_cbc_hmac_sha256() not working on arm64 architecture

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue May 7 22:40:50 UTC 2019

On 07/05/2019 20:47, Mirko J. Ploch wrote:
> Thank you for your response. You answered my question. It is not available on my
> target platform architecture (arm64).
>
> I do have a specific need for that cipher, and it does not have anything to do
> with TLS. An app that I am working on requires it for JSON Web Encryption (JWE)
> as the required encryption algorithm.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jose-json-web-encryption-31#appendix-B

Then (in spite of the name) this is not the cipher you want to use. This cipher
can *only* do the AAD specified for TLS - it is not a general purpose cipher and
so will not be capable of doing the AAD specified in that draft.

You can probably achieve what you want using EVP_aes_128_cbc() and then using
HMAC-SHA256 separately.

Matt