Openssl1.1.1 fips certification

Dr Paul Dale paul.dale at oracle.com
Fri May 10 05:28:17 UTC 2019

There is no confirmed timeline for FIPS availability for OpenSSL 3.0.  There will never be a FIPS 1.1.1 version.

It is almost certain that there will be a gap between the end of support of 1.0.2 (end of this year) and a FIPS validated 3.0 release.  If FIPS is vital for you then there is an extended support option for 1.0.2 but it isn’t free: https://www.openssl.org/support/contracts.html#premium <https://www.openssl.org/support/contracts.html#premium>

We are still hopeful that a close to FIPS ready version of OpenSSL will be done by the end of the year and, if it is, validation would likely occur next year.

I’ll reiterate: there is no definite timeline, FIPS will happen when it happens and not before.

Pauli
--
Dr Paul Dale | Cryptographer | Network Security & Encryption
Phone +61 7 3031 7217