OpenSSL 1.1.1b tests fail on Solaris - solution and possible fix

John Unsworth John.Unsworth at synchronoss.com
Tue May 14 09:29:23 UTC 2019

Because of the #pragma weak directive the functions are defined multiple times in both libcrypto.a and libssl.a:

libcrypto.a

Many UNDEF:
ct_log.o
[47]    |                   0|                   0|FUNC |WEAK |0    |UNDEF  |OPENSSL_sk_new_null
... and more

One definition from stack.c as you'd expect:
stack.o
[33]	|                1232|                  20|FUNC |WEAK |2    |2      |OPENSSL_sk_new_null

libssl.a has multiple instances also, all UNDEF:
d1_srtp.o
[43]	|                   0|                   0|FUNC |WEAK |0    |UNDEF  |OPENSSL_sk_new_null
s3_lib.o
[107]	|                   0|                   0|FUNC |WEAK |0    |UNDEF  |OPENSSL_sk_new_null
and so on.

>From the linker docs:
B.2.17.1 #pragma weak name
In the form #pragma weak name, the directive makes name a weak symbol. The linker will not complain if it does not find a symbol definition for name. It also does not complain about multiple weak definitions of the symbol. The linker simply takes the first one it encounters.

So when linking with libcrypto.a and libssl.a the first definition is taken which is UNDEF in both cases leading to the error.
This can be fixed in libcrypto.a by making stack.o, lh_stats.o and lhash.o the first files included. It could also be fixed by not defining those pragmas when compiling stack.c, lh_stats.c and lhash.c because they will then be GLOB instead of WEAK and will override all the WEAK definitions.

However there is no suitable fix for libssl.a because those files are not part of that library.

Doing that means that executables that link libcrypto.a before libssl.s are built correctly. However if the link is libssl.a followed by libcrypto.a the UNDEF symbols from libssl.a are still used.

In the shared libraries I see:

libcrypto.so only instance:
[3537]	|             2409672|                  20|FUNC |LOCL |2    |10     |OPENSSL_sk_new_null

Shared libssl.so also one instance:
[2091]	|                   0|                   0|FUNC |WEAK |0    |UNDEF  |OPENSSL_sk_new_null

and it seems that the linker will resolve those correctly.

So it seems to me that the only clean solution is to not define those pragmas when compiling stack.c, lh_stats.c and lhash.c by including a suitable define in the makefiles when building the libraries that is used in safestack.h and lhash.h to omit them.

I see there is also
# elif defined(__SUNPRO_C)
#pragma weak getisax
in crypto\sparcv9cap.c