why does RAND_add() take "randomness" as a "double"?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed May 22 17:32:51 UTC 2019

> Good options inspired by other cryptographic libraries include:
>
> - Number of bits of entropy passed in call (For example, a
>   perfectly balanced coin flipper could provide the 4 byte
>   values "head" or "tail" with an entropy of 1 bit).

Let's drop the coin flipper. It was an off hand remark and by now we
all know there ain't no such thing as a good coin flip for rng.

     See Professor Persi Diaconis at Stanford for that :
         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnJv68T3MM

Bell's theorem and kolmogorov aside get a radiation decay source as
that is really the *only* real rng that we know of.
Or that I know of.   http://www.fourmilab.ch/hotbits/hardware.html

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC