AW: Slightly funny tar ball for openssl 1.1.1c ?

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Tue May 28 19:12:21 UTC 2019

Hi Dennis,

it's not a bug, it's a feature.  ;-)

No seriously: it's the `git archive` command which is used to export the tree
into a tarfile. It adds an extended header containing the commit hash of the
commit which was exported. Older tar programs don't know how to deal
with that header and are a bit confused about it.

We had a similar discussion after 1.1.1b was released, it started here
https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-users/2019-February/009936.html

see in particular reply
https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-users/2019-February/009949.html

and the links to the LKML which it contains
https://lkml.org/lkml/2005/6/18/5
https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=111909182607985&w=2

HTH,
Matthias