AW: Performance Issue With OpenSSL 1.1.1c

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Thu May 30 00:11:19 UTC 2019

> To workaround the /dev/random blocking issue, you can just add:
>
> -DDEVRANDOM="\"/dev/urandom\""
>
> as a parameter to ./Configure
>
> This will remove the special handling of /dev/urandom and /dev/random
> in 1.1.1c.

Tomáš, Jay,

I'm afraid this suggestion won't help, because `DEVRANDOM_WAIT` is defined
unconditionally in e_os.h:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/OpenSSL_1_1_1c/e_os.h#L30-L34

This means that the select() call will happen on linux independently of what
`DEVRANDOM` is defined to be:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/OpenSSL_1_1_1c/crypto/rand/rand_unix.c#L509-L535

I think that pull request #8251 needs to be reconsidered. Give me one day or two,
I'll create a GitHub issue for that and post the link here when it's ready.

Matthias