sshd fails to start - undefined symbol: EVP_KDF_ctrl

SP scp.stjohn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 18:47:31 UTC 2019

Following an OS upgrade of the server I have been unable to start sshd
service.  On this server some software is upgraded from the OS packages
whereas others are manually built.  Openssl is manually built from
source.  After the upgrade of the OS the error message I get when
starting sshd is
sshd: undefined symbol: EVP_KDF_ctrl, version OPENSSL_1_1_1b
The version I was running was openssl.1.1.1a
I then replaced it with openssl.1.1.1d hoping it would resolve the
problem.  It did not.  I  would be grateful for any pointers as to how
I can resolve this.