Static linking libssl.a and libcrypto.a on Linux x64 fails

Aijaz Baig aijazbaig1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 04:27:56 UTC 2019

> Actually, that is also the format and mechanism with Microsoft Win32 tools, they just use the DOS-like file name "foo.lib" instead of "libfoo.a" to maintain makefile compatibility with their older Intel OMF-based toolchains. The object files inside > the archive are in COFF format, as they seem to have used Unix tools to bring up the initial "NT" operating system internally back before the initial 1993 release. On some platforms, where objects can be relinked, the constituent object files
> produced by compiling source files are sometimes combined into a single large object. This is most often seen on AIX, which uses IBM's XCOFF object format (an enhanced COFF); XCOFF supports relinking objects, so you can bundle
> objects up this way and save some time in symbol resolution when you link against the library later. But even on AIX this is commonly seen with dynamic libraries and relatively rare for static ones.
As I mentioned earlier in my reply to Micheal, I would want to create
a single archive that is a self contained 'package' (if you will) that
alone would suffice for any application that requires openssl
functionality. I've created certain wrappers over the original SSL
APIs and the object files that contain this functionality (let's call
this collectively as libapp.a) would be 'bundled' along with libssl.a
and libcrypto.a. So as mike suggested, I'll combine the whole into a
new shiny 'libappssl.a' and all that the application has to be is to
pass this to the platform linker (which BTW is posix compliant) and
that's all he requires.

> Normally the linker isn't even involved in creating a static library. You compile sources to objects, and then use ar(1) to create the static library. The makefile you posted to StackOverflow doesn't include this step, so it's hard to tell what exactly you're doing.
That StackOverflow question contains yet another link that points to
another question (which I had asked about creating the library). The
Makefile for that library contains this at the final linking (or
archiving) stage:

libAPP.a: $(obj)
    @ar rcs $@ $^
    #$(LINK.c) -shared $^ -o $@

I was creating a shared library earlier but now I am creating a static
archive from the object files.

>  Note: I seem to recall from a long time ago that GNU ar can combine static libraries directly (without all those temporary file names).
>  In BinUtils 2.25 this was apparently done by invoking ar in "MRI compatibility mode" and using the script command "ADDLIB" inside the provided MRI-style linker script.
>  For more details see the "ar scripts" part of the full GNU BinUtils TexInfo manual.
> Enjoy
> Jakob

Well, I'll take a look however Mike's method is pretty easy enough to
follow. However, what I am concerned with is, which other libraries do
I need to archive (except libc which seems to be obvious I assume) to
allow libssl and libcrypto to run on a stripped down system that
resembles Linux (aka is POSIX compliant)?

Regards,
Aijaz

--

Best Regards,