building openssl-1.1.1d with "enable-deprecated"

Peter Sui peters at qnext.com
Mon Sep 16 14:44:01 UTC 2019

Hi,
       From the openssl website, I got the folloeing instruction:
"
Access to deprecated functions/macros has been removed by default. To
enable access you must do two things. 1) Build OpenSSL with deprecation
support (pass "enable-deprecated" as an argument to config) 2) Applications
must define "OPENSSL_USE_DEPRECATED" before including OpenSSL header files.
"
But, after I followed the instructions, it did not work. I searched all the
files(.h, .cpp, .c), I did not see the "OPENSSL_USE_DEPRECATED"  anywhere.
And in the make file generated, I found it's using the
flag -D"_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE", does it mean no deprecated functions
available in the library built?  I also compared all the binary and header
files between the build without "enable-deprecated" and the build with
"enable-deprecated",
there is no difference.
The command I used is:
perl Configure VC-WIN32 enable-deprecated
--prefix=T:\openssl-%OPENSSL_VERSION%-32bit-release-DLL-VS2015
nmake

Thank you inadvance!

Peter Sui