OpenSSL 1.1.1d: test 20-test_enc.t fails if zlib is enabled

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Mon Sep 23 18:26:01 UTC 2019

Hello,

since we got a few bug reports by now about this issue on GitHub,
I thought it might be a good idea to spread the information a little bit:

It is a known issue that the 20-test_enc.t test fails in OpenSSL
version 1.1.1d if zlib support is enabled (see [1]).

Meanwhile, the bug has been fixed on master and the OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable
branch (see [2]).

The test error can be ignored, if you don't use the `openssl zlib` command,
resp. the BIO_f_zlib() filter BIO. However, if you need a fix for it before the
next official release, you have two options:

- Apply the patch 86ed78676c66 manually to your copy of 1.1.1d (see [3]).
- Update to the tip of the OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable branch (see [4]).

Regards,

Matthias

[1] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/9866
[2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/9877