tbslen parameter in EVP_PKEY_sign() and EVP_PKEY_verify()

Jason Proctor jason at spatiallabs.com
Tue Apr 7 18:07:11 UTC 2020

Esteemed cryptologists,

Question regarding the "tbslen" parameter to the sign and verify
functions. The documentation says --

"The verified data (i.e. the data believed originally signed) is
specified using the tbs and tbslen parameters."

Which might indicate that tbslen is the length of the payload. However
I found that I had to set this to the length of the *signature* to get
these calls to work. The sign() operation fails at rsa_pmeth.c line
134, and the debugger does indeed tell me that it's expecting 32
there, rather than the payload length which is 1024.

Is this correct? Anything I'm missing, here?

thanks for any clarity here
Jason at Spatial